You've never planned a wedding before and are finding it can be a bit stressful hiring vendors - don't worry, there is help! Here are my top two tips when searching for and finding a wedding photographer:
- Always schedule a phone call!
- You want to make sure this person is competent, capable and experienced. Have they handled rainy days, crazy uncles, late timelines?
- You also want to make sure you click with this person! They'll be spending a good portion of the wedding day close to you, so you want someone who will make you comfortable!
- Ask to look through a few full galleries!
- Instagram is a wonderful tool for photographers to show off their favorite images, but you want to make sure the person you hire is great at every part of the wedding day, not just the select few moments! From getting ready to portraits to the ceremony to the dance party. Whether you're getting married outside or in a church, you can ask that they show you weddings that are similar to what yours will look like!
- I send each bride that inquiries with me a link to 3 different wedding days - from start to finish!
- Rethink the Budget.
- Every year The Knot asks brides where they wish they had saved and where they wish they had splurged. Every single year the answer is splurge on photography. It is the one memory, the pictures that will be on your wall, the album your grandchildren will look through. Like most things, you get what you pay for. Make sure you hire someone who can capture your personalities and giddiness.
Bonus tip 1: Always respond to photographer's (or any vendors) emails... even if you decide to go another direction! Kindness is cool.
Bonus tip #2: Don't go with a family friend (unless they are experienced in weddings)! We'll dive into this more another time.